"Bacon is the candy of meat."

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Mary Sternberg Memorial Mandelbrot


3 eggs
1 cup corn or vegetable oil
1 scant cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts (or other nuts)
4 tbs. cinnamon sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. Line cookie sheet with foil and coat with oil.

2. Beat eggs. Add oil, sugar, vanilla, and baking powder and mix well. Stir in nuts. Add flour in increments and mix well.

3. Divide dough into four parts and shape with your hands into loaves on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 35-40 minutes.

4. After baking, slice crosswise while still hot. Lay the slices back on the cookie sheet and bake another 10 minutes. Cool.

These freeze well. Grandma always had some in the freezer for expected or unexpected company.

I miss you already.

6 comments:

Miss Cake said...

Aw, what a great photo. RIP, Mary.

artlife said...

very sweet ~

katherine catmull said...

A beautiful post. And I will try making that delicious-sounding bread.

katecat

Miss Cake said...

Ok, I just made a batch of these. Oh my god, SO AWESOME. It's going to be a struggle not to eat the whole batch. I'm going to make another batch tomorrow.

I made one small modification to the recipe: because I don't care all that much for walnuts, I used almonds. That was the only change I made, and oh my god they are good.

Mlle Gateau said...

Almonds, I believe, are more traditional. In that case, I might use almond extract instead of vanilla, but I'm sure both are good.

Glad you made it and like it! Do stick some in the freezer -- they keep very well, and are ready to serve quickly.

Megan said...

I can't wait to try it. Grandma Mary, as I was priviledged to be able to call her, was one of a kind. Now can you find her borsht recipe too? xo Meg